Ronald McDonald House Oxford
Ronald McDonald House Charities offers free “home away from home” accommodation at children’s hospitals, providing a lifeline to families whose children are seriously ill.
Ronald McDonald House Oxford opened within the Children’s Hospital at the John Radcliffe in 2007, and provides a room to on average 700 families each year from across Oxfordshire, its surrounding counties and across the UK for specialist surgeries.
For us, “home away from home” means providing all the facilities a family would have in their own home, to retain as much normality as is possible in exceptional circumstances. Facilities include kitchens, lounges with TVs, free wi-fi, a phone line direct to the ward, playrooms and toys for the children, laundry facilities and private bedrooms, so families can have privacy when they need it, but can also get support from their peers or House staff if they choose.
Andy, a Dad that stayed in our House recalls his experience: “Archie was born with congenital heart defects. He underwent two open heart surgeries and spent nearly 60 days on life support. For months his life was in the balance and ours was on hold. We would have slept on the floor just to be near Archie. Instead, we were amazed to find a beautiful room waiting for us at the Ronald McDonald House. We can’t thank the Oxford team enough and will be forever grateful to them.”
A few more facts about Ronald McDonald House Oxford:
– It costs £250,000 per year to run the House and keep the accommodation free of charge for families, so we rely heavily on donations from both families and the local community.
– We receive no direct funding from the NHS
– It costs us £25 per night to accommodate one family in one room – We have 17 rooms which are full every night – and we often have a waiting list of 10-12 families
– We look after on average 700 families per year, and the average stay is 9 nights, but the longest stay has been 15 months
By running for Team Oxford this year you will:
– Receive a Ronald McDonald House t-shirt or running vest for training and running in
– Receive fantastic support all around the course
– Know you are helping to keep families together at a difficult time
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01865 234254 to secure your place or for more information. We’d love you to be part of the Ronald McDonald House Oxford Team!